Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Trying not to loose my head.

It is Tuesday morning here in Richmond and we are about to go into day three of Adult Dance camp. I honestly think it has taken me this long to get over the jet lag and 4am start on Saturday.
There was a slight sleep issue on Saturday night too, when after checking in, drinking several glasses of good Rioja at the welcome dinner and finally trying to get some sleep; the entire hotel was awoken at 4am by the emergency evacuation alarm. We all filled down to emergency exit stairs ( I am on the 6th floor) to the ground floor level only to find the fire exit locked! Not good. We came back up to the 3rd floor and tried another fire exit and were able to get out into the early morning rain.
It was quite the scene. Several other groups were staying in the hotel over the weekend, notably the triathletes (mostly male, young and very scantily clad) and the rappers (again mostly male and high or drunk and LOUD). It was the parents with young children I felt the most sorry for.
After waiting in the street for about half an hour, having seen the fire department arrive, we then all filed back in, seemingly with no instructions from any hotel staff ( I think I only saw one staff member the entire time and he looked as bewildered as we were) and back to our rooms.
Quiet was restored until about 45 minutes later (exactly the time it takes to start to settle back in to sleep, it turns out) the alarm went off again. I considered ignoring it,then decided to get up and got as far as the door before it cut out mid sentence ( " An emergency has been reported please leave your rooms by the closest emergency exit") I decided they must be trying to reset the alarm, so I went back to bed. They continued to try to reset the alarm at 45 minute intervals until about 7am, when I finally got back to sleep!

The next day one of the other dancers overheard a conversation at the front desk which confirmed her suspicions. The Rappers (on her floor, hence her suspicions) had been partying , 'toking up' and set off the fire alarm.

The rest of Sunday ( sleep deprived, dehydrated as I was) consisted of the all important placement class, orientation, intermediate (yay!) pointe, kinesiology, and intermediate modern. To say that I was feeling a bit 'out of it' would be an understatement!

More technical gory details to come. I have to rush off to Pilates now.

1 comment:

helen said...

Hi Sas,
thanks for sending me the link, I was scanning back through my emails for last years....
enjoy- enjoy- enjoy-
but go careful ( no rupture noises from your calves please!!!)

Will you be flying directly from Richmond to the UK?

looking forward to the next update - photos please (studios etc)
Live music or cd?
Mixed classes?
What rep are you doing this year?
Noticing how much you have progressed since last year?

Lots of questions.....